Christoph Holzhey PhD, PhD
Physics, German Literature
Christinenstr. 18/19, Haus 8
Christoph F.E. Holzhey is the founding director of the ICI Berlin Institute for Cultural Inquiry, which he has directed since 2006. He read physics at Oxford (B.A. 1988) and received a PhD in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University in 1993 with a dissertation on the entropy and information loss of black holes. At Columbia University, he studied German Literature (MA 1994, MPhil 1996) and wrote a dissertation on paradoxical pleasures in aesthetics (PhD 2001). Returning to Germany, he was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in Berlin (2001-03) and in the project "Mystik und Moderne" at the Universität Siegen (2003-06).
His research interests include German Literature since the 18th century; pleasure and pain in aesthetics; constructions of identity, gender and sexuality; science and aesthetics; self-organization and emergence in complex systems.
- Wendy Brown and Rainer Forst, The Power of Tolerance: A Debate, co-ed. with Luca Di Blasi, Wien/Berlin: Turia + Kant and New York: Columbia UP, forthcoming 2014
- Multistable Figures: On the Critical Potential of Ir/Reversible Aspect-Seeing, ed., Wien/Berlin: Turia + Kant, forthcoming 2014
- Situiertes Wissen und regionale Epistemologie. Zur Aktualität Georges Canguilhems und Donna J. Haraways, co-ed. with Astrid Deuber-Mankowsky, Wien/Berlin: Turia + Kant, 2013
- The Scandal of Self-Contradiction. Pasolini's Multistable Subjectivities, Traditions, Geographies, co-ed. with Luca Di Blasi and Manuele Gragnolati, Wien/Berlin: Turia + Kant, 2012
- Tension/Spannung, ed., Wien/Berlin: Turia + Kant, 2010
- Der Einsatz des Lebens. Lebenswissen, Medialisierung, Geschlecht, co-edited with Astrid Deuber-Mankowsky and Anja Michaelsen, Berlin: b_books, 2009
- Biomystik: Natur - Gehirn - Geist, ed., München: Fink, 2007
Follow me on Academia.edu